Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hindi Grammar 4 (To have)

                                                     


TO HAVE - How to express possession of physical objects

In this lesson, let’s learn how to say “I have/ I don’t have/ Do you have?” There is no verb in Hindi that expresses possession. Instead, an adverb पास (paas -close/nearby) is used.  मेरे पास  है can be used only with physical objects such as house, car, siblings, wife, pets, friends, money etc. However it cannot be used in a sentence “I have a cold”.

मेरे पास है
mere paas hai
I have
तेरे पास है
tere paas hai
You have (informal)
तुम्हारे पास है
tumhaare paas hai
You have (informal)
आपके पास है
aapke paas hai
You have (formal)
इसके पास है
iske paas hai
He,she has (near to the sp.)
उसके पास है
uske paas hai
He,she has (far from the sp.)



हमारे पास है
hamaare paas hai
We have
तुम्हारे पास है
tumhaare paas hai
You have (informal)
आपके पास है
aapke paas hai
You have (formal)
इनके पास है
inke paas hai
They have (near to the speaker)
उनके पास है 
unke paas hai
They have (far from the speaker.)

To say “I don’t have”, just add नहीं (naheen – not) before the verb है (hai – is).

मेरे पास नहीं है
mere paas naheen hai
 I don't have
तेरे पास नहीं है
tere paas naheen hai
You don't have
तुम्हारे पास नहीं है
tumhaare paas naheen hai
You don't  have
आपके पास नहीं है
aapke paas naheen hai
You don't have  (for.)
इसके पास नहीं है
iske paasnaheen  hai
He,she doesn't  have 
उसके पास नहीं है
uske paas naheen hai
He,she doesn't have 



हमारे पास नहीं है
hamaare paas naheen hai
We don't have
तुम्हारे पास नहीं है
tumhaare paas naheen hai
You don't have
आपके पास नहीं है
aapke paas naheen hai
You don't have (for.)
इनके पास नहीं है
inke paas naheen hai
They don't have
उनके पास नहीं है  

unke paas naheen hai

Theydon't  have

To ask “Do you have?” or “Does he have?” just add क्या (kyaa – what) in the beginning of a question. 
क्या आपके पास है ? (Kyaa aapke paas hai? – Do you have?)
It is also possible to add क्या at the end of a sentence.
आपके पास है  क्या? (Aapke paas hai kyaa? – Do you have?)
Also, it is common to ask questions without using क्या at all. To indicate a question, the intonation should be raised.
आपके पास भाई बहिन है? (Aapke paas bhaae- bahin hai? – Do you have brothers or sisters?)
One more way to say “I have” is just by dropping पास (paas – nearby) completely.
मेरे दो भाई और दो बहिनें हैं। (Mere do bhaaee aur do bahinen hain. – I have two brothers and two sisters.)



Please read the dialogue between two children Raja and Ram. It illustrates the usage of “have”.

राजा: मेरे पास दो भाई हैं।
क्या तेरे पास भाई-बहिन है?
राम: हाँ, हैं. एक भाई और दो बहिन हैं।
राजा: वे कितने साल के है?
राम: मेरा एक भाई तेरह साल का है, बड़ी वाली बहिन सोलह साल की है और चोटी वाली - चार साल की है।
राजा: स्कूल जाते हैं वे?
राम: सिर्फ में और मेरा भाई जाते हैं।
राजा: बहिन क्यूँ नहीं जातें हैं?
राम: क्योंकी हमारे पास इतने पैसे नहीं हैं।

Raja: Mere paas do bhaaee hain. Kyaa tere paas bhaaee bahin hain?
Ram: Haan, hain. Ek bhaaee or do bahin hain.
Raja: Ve kitne saal ke hain?
Ram: Meraa ek bhaaee terah saal kaa hai, badee valee bahin solah saal ki hai or choTee valee chaar saal kee hai.
Raja: Skool jaaten hain ve?
Ram: Sirf main or mera bhaaee jaate hain.
Raja: Bahin kyuun naheen jaatee hain?
Ram: Kyonki hamaare paas itne paise naheen hain.

Raja: I have two brothers. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Ram: Yes, I have. I have one brother and two sisters.
Raja: How old are they?
Ram: My brother is thirteen, my big sister is sixteen and my little sister is four.
Raja: Do they go to school?
Ram: Only my brother and I go (to school).
Raja: Why don’t your sisters go?
Ram: Because we don’t have (such) money.

                                                   
You can also make simple sentences using these words:

मेरे पास.....है।
mere paas….hai
I have…(sg)
मेरे पास......हैं।
mere paas….hain
I have…. (pl)
क्या आपके पास.....है?
kyaa aapke paas….hai?
Do you have….(sg)
क्या आपके पास ......हैं?
kyaa aapke paas….hain?
Do you have….(pl)
उसके पास.....नहीं है।
uske paas…..naheen hai
He doesn't have….(sg)
हमारे पास......नहीं हैं।
hamaare paas…naheen hain
We don't have….(pl)

भाई-बहिन
bhaaee-bahin
siblings
नया अखबार
nayaa akhbaar
new newspaper
पुरानी किताब
puraanee kitaab
old book
महंगे कपड़े
mahangee kapde
expensive clothes
अच्छे सब्जियां
acchhe sabziyaan
fresh vegetables
बहुत पैसे
bahut paise
lots of money
छोटे बच्चे

chhoTe bacche


small children


9 comments:

Kay Rush said...

Dhanyavad! Kay

CrazyLassi said...

:D

Anonymous said...

Dhanyavad bahot bahot, Ji! you are helping me alot in my hindi learning! All the best to you! Jahmoona

CrazyLassi said...

मैं बहुत खुश हूँ।
main bahut khush hoon
I am very happy!

Anonymous said...

Hello Crazylassi! I wish you a happy new year 2012! I've just found your web sit and it's very interesting.
I'm French and I'm learning Hindi. There are very few Hindi speakers in my country because most of Asians speak Tamoul. Your lessons are very helpful to me!
I wanted to ask you a question about the pronouns before "paas". Do they always keep the sound "e" at the end? "Mere, aapke"? Never "meraa" or "merii"?
I hope I am clear.
Marilé

C Lai said...

Dear CrazyLassi,
Namaste. I have a question about "To have".
Some other websites say that you only use the word "paas" if the object is movable, but you don't use "paas" if the owned object is human.
For example, if I want to say "I have 2 brothers" then I say "Mere do bhaaee hain" but if you want to say "I have 2 chairs(movable)" then I say "Mere paas do kursee hai". Can you please clarify for me. Dhanyavaad!

PAWAN said...

Hi CrazyLassi,
I have small doubt. Why we need to say mere pass etc...., there pass and why we should not say mera pass and tera pass etc.....

Will you plz clarify my doubt?

Oni Janex said...

@PAWAN
it is मेरे पास 'mere paas' because the postposition to indicate posession of objects is के पास 'ke paas' and मेरे 'mere' is मैं (मुझ) + के —> मेरे पास. As far as I know के पास is only used with objects which you temporarily posess (transient), whereas posessing things permanently — like the parts of your body, family members, (even) your house (is often considered to be permanent) — one does no use के पास but simply का/की/के, as in मेरी दो आँखें हैं 'meri do aankhen hain' (I have two eyes), but I might be mistaken…

ram said...

Could you make the characters of your conversation as

Ram and Meeana so that we can understand how the

woman would use the verb, adjective and other parts of speech

that change depending on the gender?

Thanks

Ram

Post a Comment